Socrates said, "An unexamined life is not worth living." This is my feeble attempt at examining my life.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Our Father is Just

11:21 AM Posted by Daniel Rose , No comments

There are times when you hear something that challenges you to your core. I have a strong fight response. This is particularly true in light of things that I consider be injustices. When I see injustice I feel a righteous anger rise within me. 

This can be a good thing and a bad thing. It’s good in that it motivates me to action. It’s bad in that, at times, I believe that I need to act for God as the arbiter of justice. The latter usually occurs as I relate to other Christians.

Yesterday a friend said, “Your Father will discipline your siblings. You don’t need to.”

How freeing! I’m not responsible for bringing discipline. I don’t have to hold every Christian in my life accountable to every action. I don’t have to be the one to shine the spotlight on those that need discipline. I can rest in the justice of God and trust that in his sovereign goodness he will be just.

This frees me to forgive.

I struggle to forgive when I don’t think that justice will be served. If someone is going to “get away with it” forgiveness is difficult to extend. I want people to know why I am extending forgiveness. Isn’t that subtle? Ultimately forgiveness is something that I need to extend in my heart towards people. It allows me to move toward them in love. But, my need to make sure they know why means that I add shame and guilt in my vain attempt to extend mercy.

This frees me to love.

True forgiveness propels us toward a person in love. This does not necessarily mean forgiveness pushes us back into relationship. There are some relationships that are not good for us to be in (an abuser, for example). Moving toward someone in love means that we truly desire their best (in some cases this means for them to experience discipline). It means that we are able to give that relationship to God in faith and trust him.

This frees me to love again.

When we experience injustice it is often a betrayal. Betrayal makes it very difficult to love again. We want to protect ourselves from getting betrayed again. This creates bitterness. But, knowing that God will discipline those who practice injustice, especially Christians, it frees us to open our hearts to love and risk anew.

Paul writes in Galatians, “Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.” Paul is writing particularly about legalism (although that could be argued). However, it is in Christ that we know that the Father’s justice prevails and this frees us.

The post Our Father is Just appeared first on Daniel M. Rose. It was written by Daniel M. Rose.



from WordPress http://ift.tt/1NNngf8
via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment