Socrates said, "An unexamined life is not worth living." This is my feeble attempt at examining my life.

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Acts 2 Church...It Still Happens

9:40 AM Posted by Daniel Rose No comments
If you're anything like me you read this passage and think, "hmm, OK...":
42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.43 And awetcame upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles.44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common.45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
I don't know if I have ever really understood what was going on here. The surface details get in the way and for some reason muddy the waters for me. Maybe it is because I am an American that the whole, "sell everything and share" just doesn't resonate and makes me uncomfortable. Or maybe it's just that I am crazy selfish.

However, Saturday night and Sunday night I was engaged in group life at Grace Chapel. First in my own group and then I was sharing about the vision of The Antioch Movement in another group. After reflecting on these two gatherings I realized that Acts 2 is happening all around me, if I would just open my eyes to see it.

More and more I am convinced that the deeper issues of Acts are based in the fundamentals of "devotion", "together", "common" or "sharing". We live in a different culture than first century Rome. I am comfortable with the statement "that was then, this is now" as we try to apply the Scriptures to our lives. The Scriptures are "living and active" and so I think that Acts is much more descriptive than prescriptive in much of its content.

However, the principles of devotion, together, and sharing in Acts 2 (and the rest of Acts); I think point to the deeper issues at hand.

As my family prepares to follow God's call to Ypsilanti we must ready our house for sale. I don't know how to fix things. But, there are men in my life who do.

I just need to ask.

Saturday night, two men said they would help, without me really asking (I was whining more than anything, truth be told).  Sunday night, a small group, that I am not a part of, offered their help (without me really asking; in this gathering I spiritualized my whining).

These folks have skills that I do not have. They have abilities that I cannot comprehend. They are people who I know are devoting themselves to the Lord, they are committed to being together, and in this moment they are willing to share what they have that I do not possess.

Over the last 48 hours I saw the body of Christ incarnate Acts 2:42-47 in our day and age.

It still happens.


0 comments:

Post a Comment